Climbing the Stairs by Padma Venkatraman

Climbing the Stairs by Padma Venkatraman

Venkatraman, Padma. Climbing the Stairs. G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 2008. 247 pages. $16.99. ISBN 0399247467

Readers Annotation: In WWII India, Vidya comes to terms with her closed-minded aunts and uncles after her father is paralyzed in a “non-violent” protest.

Plot Summary: Vidya lives in tumultuous times in India. Not only were the late 30’s, early 40’s a time of great fear of Hitler and his armies, but also a time during the struggle for India’s independence. Vidya’s father has been secretly aiding the non-violent protestors by providing medical care to those who are injured. She has a good life, a promise of college and an open-minded family. When Vidya’s father is mentally paralyzed by British police during a march, the family moves in with her father’s family. This family isn’t as open minded as her parents and Vidya soon seeks solace from her aunts’ cruelty in her grandfather’s library. Here she meets Raman, a smart young man with a promising future. As the war gets closer, and her brother joins the army, Vidya realizes what she really wants to do with her life.

Critical Evaluation: I was drawn to this book because I never connected India to the rest of the world during WWII. I always imagined they were blissfully unaware of the horrors of the war. I also didn’t realize that their fight for independence from Britain was going on at the same time the British were fighting the Nazis. Venkatraman’s story, which is a mixture of many of her own family’s experiences, opened my eyes to a side of India I’ve never known. When I started the book I discussed it with my husband’s family who are Indian, and they informed me that Vidya means knowledge or wisdom. It is interesting that she gave the main character such a weighty name, when her dream is to attend university and all she wants to do is learn. I was exceedingly frustrated with Vidya’s family for the way the treated her and talked about her disabled father. It was hard to put down because I just wanted to find out if she would pursue her dreams despite the lack of support from her family. This book should be in every YA collection and a must read for those who have an interest in WWII, for a glimpse into another point of view about the war.

Reading Level: The reading level and interest level of this book would be suited for older teens, sixteen and up.
Book talk Ideas: I would read the part of the book where Vidya gets entangled in a protest and her father is brutally attacked. I would then discuss that the peaceful protests during the Indian fight for independence often didn’t remain peaceful. I would also discuss the role the volunteer Indian army had in the Allied forces during WWII.

Why it is included:
I chose this book because I’d never read a book that took place during WWII in India. In 208 it was a nominee for the Cybils Young Adult Novels award, a 2009 YALSA best book for young adults, and on several other best books lists.

Challenge Issues: The brutality of Vidya’s father’s attack and the degrading terms her family uses for her mentally disabled father could cause concern. I would argue that with all historical piece the terms and mindset of the characters reflects those of the time and it is beneficial to learn about these prejudices and see where we’ve come.

0 comments: