Mick Harte was Here by Barbara Park


Park, Barbara. Mick Harte was Here. New York: Apple Soup Books, 1995. 89 pages. $15.00 ISBN 9780679870883

Plot Summary: Phoebe tells the story of her brother, younger by ten months, who was killed in a bike accident. The story alternates between flashbacks and present day where Phoebe and her family are dealing with Mick's death.

Critical Evaluation: When I read this book in elementary school I remember crying quite a lot, and I always wore my helmet after that. Although the subject matter is very grim, I think it is an essential read if merely to reinforce the use of bike helmets. Barbara did an excellent job balancing the mourning of Mick's family and the humorous flashbacks.

Reader's Annotation: Phoebe wants you to learn one thing from her brother's death, always wear a helmet.

Author Bio: Barbara Park is the author of several children's books including Beanpole, Dear God, HELP!!! Love, Earl and the Junie B. Jones series. Barbara Park lives in Arizona with her husband and has two grown sons, David and Steven.

Genre: Realistic Fiction

Curriculum Ties: This is a must read for any upper elementary or middle school reading list.

Booktalking Ideas: Talk about the necessity of wearing a helmet.

Reading Level/Interest Age: Ages 8-12

Challenges: None.

Reason for including: While I wouldn't say this is one of my favorite books, it is definitely on the top of my list of books that have affected me at one point. I think this is a great book, very thought provoking.

0 comments: